"It was for freedom that Christ has set us free..." Gal 5:1

nature.jpgI think the “environmentalist” movement has in some ways been “hijacked” by a socialist economic and social agenda. Business is bad. Government control is the only solution. Believe our version of what is best for the environment or you must be a “big oil, big business, anti-environment” individual.

What if I am enthusiastically in favor of caring for our planet, only I don’t buy into all of the agenda that is presented to me, and because of that agenda I am suspicious of certain “science” and “beyond debate” issues that are presented to me by the media, activists, and politicians?

I have also noticed another trend. Young Christians appear to be in some cases reacting to the real and/or perceived bias in previous generations of Christians. “It isn’t cool for Christians to be against he environment any more. It is not Christian to be against helping the environment.”

Well, it has never been “Christian” to be against properly managing our environment!

I am concerned that Christians could get sucked into a reactionary movement that leaves behind Christian Principle in their efforts to redeem Christianity from a”pharisaical” image of not caring about the environment. (I think there is also a reactionary movement against Christians being stuck as “conservatives” as well.)

I want to make a few assertions:

1. God has given mankind dominion over the earth.
  2. Man is a blessing to the earth, not a curse to it.
  3. Man has sometimes mistreated the earth to man’s own harm
  4. Christians can be a part of the solutions to solving environmental problems!
  5. Christians should be very careful to thoroughly think through and analyze their positions on environmental issues, and should not necessarily concede that those who claim to define “environmentalism” are correct. “Environmentalists” may in some cases be sucked into a deceptive worldview that will not benefit the earth or human beings.

Here is a link to an inspiring declaration of earth-stewardship coming from Protestants, Catholics and Jews:

I believe that getting God’s heart and wisdom will lead us to ideas and plans that will benefit mankind economically and in all kinds of fruitfulness, but also will benefit mankind through a safer, cleaner, and more beautiful planet.

I’d love to hear your thoughts!

6 Responses to “Christians and the Environment”
  1. Sue says:

Absolutely brillant. I will be posting this to my Facebook page.

2. wilbau says:

Yo! I agree!
    Since the garden of Eden there has been a responsibility for men and women to care for creation etc.
    I am somehow sceptical of all these climate discussions, cause the main reason for climate change is NOT seen. The FLOOD happened something between 5000 to 10000 years ago and earth is since then continually warming up.

Like your blog! Keep going!

3. Kat says:

Amen! I appreciate what you said and AGREE!

Care for the planet and the environment has been hijacked by the socialist economic and social agenda. God commanded Adam and all of mankind to steward and care for the world… it is the Christian responsibility to care for the world and ALL that is in it – including the poor, the sick, the orphans, etc.

Being a Christian and being an environmentalist are not and should not be mutually exclusive.

4. Renae says:

Very good analysis. I’m sure you will be surprised to learn that I agree with you. 🙂

God made the earth for man’s home, and asked man to take care of it. It is to our own demise when we don’t.

Some of the misunderstanding about what constitutes Christian ideas on this subject can come from a focus on spiritual things. If Christians deny the value of anything material, it justifies not caring for the earth. However, even though our life is a vapor, we are commanded to be good stewards.

5. Casey says:

Hear, hear. Man’s survival depends upon continuously reshaping his environment. Man has to clear land for agricultural development, build houses and cities, engage in medical research to cure diseases, and other alleged cases of environmental “destruction.”

6. Ed says:

I basically agree. Balance is the key as usual. We should not worship the planet but we should not destry it either. Godly wisdom and behavior is the only solution!
    Grace and Peace,