Is America a Christian Nation? Does America have a Christian Heritage and History?
Barack Obama says America is not a Christian Nation. People are offended.
I have found this to be an almost impossible conversation to have because it is rarely established in a conversation what is meant by “Christian Nation.” Each side means something different.
Possible meanings of “Christian Nation”:
- Everyone in America is Christian
- Most people in America are Christian
- American Institutions are Christian
- The Character and Behavior of America is Christian
- The Character and Behavior of Americans are Christian
- America was founded by Christians
- America’s values are Christian
- Etc., etc., etc.
I am not a historical expert, although I hope I will be when you ask me again in 15 years. I have read a number of things and listened to a number of arguments and here are my current conclusions about America.
- In the early 1600s the people that came to America came for the purpose of religious freedom and to advance Christianity in the earth – and/or they came for a new life and material gain (nothing inherently wrong with those last two).
- The Bible and Christianity were the most influential sources of ideas and beliefs in America from the beginning (1600s) all the way up to (and following) the War for Independence from Britain.
- All Americans from the beginning onward were flawed and normal human beings. They were highly influenced by Christianity but were not perfect by any means.
- America was never a perfect Christian Nation, but it truly was a Christian Nation in many ways!
- The ideas of Christianity were the most influential and prominent in the creation of both the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution.
|Photo by Kriss Szkurlatowski|
We still have freedom. We can still turn this thing around.
Christian Revival and Christian Teaching can make America a Christian Nation again. We cannot (and should not) force everyone (or anyone) to have faith in Christ; but the Kingdom of God is like Yeast (Luke 13:20-21) – if Christians live it out, it will leaven the whole batch of dough! We’ll have nothing to fear from the “tares among the wheat.”
I believe there is hope for America. The faulty foundations of humanism that have been crammed into the place where Christianity was will crumble and fail. They can do nothing else.
We need to build up the next generation of Christian Believers to be ready to rebuild America when the enemies of God fail.
There’s lots of work for us to do! Let’s get to it!
|Watch at Tangle|